What is in Your E-Juice?

, , Comment Closed

So you’ve joined the hipster wave of vaping. Your e-cigarette cloud hangs around your head like a Fruity Pebble on a bright summer’s day. You never thought you could look this cool. But what exactly is in that e-juice? Let’s break it down for you.

First of all, e-juice is the liquid used in your electronic cigarette. It’s the stuff that makes people think you spilled cereal all over yourself, which is better than smelling like a real cigarette. This liquid is what makes the vapor that fills the air around you. It’s also what contains all the nicotine. Yes, vape still has nicotine. It just has different percentages depending on what level you choose.


Your juice is a mixture of water, food-grade flavoring, nicotine, propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerin (VG). The food grade flavoring is the same stuff that you’ll find in all your favorite foods, which means it’s perfectly safe for human consumption. It’s also what makes your vape taste so good.

The VG and PG make up around 90% of your juice, while the other stuff contributes to the last 10%. There is some debate amongst vape users about whether VG or PG is better. Really it’s all about preference.

VG is the ingredient that is going to get you a bigger vapor cloud. It’s thicker and tends to leave a bigger residue buildup inside your machine. It’s also sweeter than its counterpart. This ingredient is also used in some sugar replacement products. VG tends to be a smoother hit and causes less throat irritation.

PG is much thinner than its opposite and thus leaves less gunky buildup inside of your vaporizer. It also makes it easier for the wax or cotton inside of your atomizer to soak up the liquid. This leads to a much cleaner vaping experience. PG has no flavor at all, so you’ll be getting the purest taste from this ingredient. It has a throat hit that is comparable to that of a cigarette. So if you’re just quitting smoking, this will help make the transition easier. Some people have reported allergic reactions to PG.

When it comes right down to it, the differences between PG and VG are all about experience. What sort of vaper do you want to be? Do you have a sweet tooth and want big clouds? Use VG. If you want something that’s going to feel more like a real cigarette; use PG. There is no right or wrong answer.

As far as nicotine goes, you can have as much or as little as you want. There are some liquids that don’t have any nicotine at all, while others can have up to 24mg. Again, it’s all about preference. If you’re just quitting smoking, you’ll probably want a higher dosage. It’s all about experimentation and finding what works best for you.

Head out to your local vape shop and test out the different PG or VG flavors they have. Most shops will let you try before you buy.